Going over this year’s TBA:09 (Time Based Art) Festival catalog I was struck by just how many of the events at Portland’s premiere arts festival are free.
In addition to the free events, there are also a number of options that provide pretty hefty bang for the buck.
Top of that list is the Works Pass. For $75 ($50 for PICA members) you get access to all the late night programming at the Works (Washington High School – 531 SE 14th Ave) running from September 3rd – September 10th. In all 16 shows!
Some of the highlights from The Works (531 SE 14th Ave) include:
- Ten Tiny Dances – Sat. Sept. 5th @ 10:30pm
- Afrobeat Tribute to Michael Jackson – Mon. Sept. 7th @ 10:30pm
- Neal Medlyn’s Britney Spears/Hannah Montana Extravaganza – Wed. Sept. 9 @10:30pm
- Rush-N-Disco – Thurs. Sept. 10 @ 11pm
- Quasi – Sat. Sept. 12 @ 10:30pm
Totally free TBA:09 events:
- PNCA Opening Reception – Thurs Sept. 3 6-8pm featuring: Robert Boyd and Brian Lund
- TBA On Sight Art Installations – Opening Thurs. Sept. 3 @ 8-10:30pm at The Works featuring Peter Coffin, Jesse Hayward and Ethan Rose.
- Gang Gang Dance – Thurs. Sept. 3 @ 10:30pm at The Works.
- Hitoshi Toyoda – Fri. Sept. 4 @ 8:30pm & Sat. Sept. 5 @ 8:30pm outside at The Works.
- Younger with Ethan Rose, Laura Gibson and Ryan Jeffery – Sat. Sept. 6 @ 6:30p-10p PDX Contemporary Art (925 NW Flanders)
- Planted! Labor Day Picnic – Mon. Sept 7 @ 12:30-4pm at The Works.
- Tyler Wallace & Nicole Dill “Between Us” – Mon. Sept 7 @ 9-10pm and Wed Sept 9 @ 9-10pm at The Works (with a webcast prelude starting at 1pm @ BetweenUsLive.com)
Top TBA Picks to shell out dough for:
- Back to Back Theater “Small Metal Objects” (our TOP PICK) – Wed. Sept 9 @ 6:30, Thurs. Sept 10 @ 12:30 and 6:30pm, Fri. Sept 11 @ 12:30 and 6:30pm, Sat. Sept 12 @ 12:30 and 6:30pm. We recommend the 12:30 shows as actors are interspersed with the regular crowds in the area. This show is not to be missed! $20 Members/$25 General
- Young Jean Lee’s Theater Company “The Shipment” – (Highy Recommended – Read our Review) Fri. Sept. 4 @ 6:30pm, Sat. Sept. 5 @ 12pm, Sun. Sept 6 @ 8:30pm. Portland Center Stage (128 NW Eleventh Ave) Yong Jean is known to offend anyone and everyone, so be prepared. $15 Members/$20 General
- Pan Pan Theater “The Crumb Trail” – Wed. Sept. 9 @ 8:30pm, Thurs. Sept 10 @ 6:30, Fri. Sept 11 @ 6:30p and Sat Sept 12 @ 6:30pm. Winningstad Theater Portland Center for the Performing Arts (1111 SW Broadway) $20 members/$25 General
- Locust “Crushed” – Mon. Sept 7 @ 6:30p and Tues Sept 8 @ 6:30pm – The Works. $15 Members/$20 General
- Meg Stuart/Damaged Goods & Philipp Gehmacher/Mumbling Fish – Fri. Sept 4 @ 8:30p and Sat. Sept 5 @ 8:30p. Newmark Theater Portland Center for the Performing Arts (1111 SW Broadway) $20 members/$25 General (Read our review of this, short take – not worth the dough)
On Portland plans to bring you complete coverage of TBA 09 with up to date recommendations on shows, pictures and reviews.